I have been thinking about this and it does seem to be a somewhat thorny
issue.

One possible solution would be to call the quit functions of the plugins but
have a timeout set
so that you could pop up a dialog if they did not quit after a second or two
asking if the user wanted
to terminate the plugin.  But this seems messy.

Another thought:

If a plugin has a quit function that hangs or takes a long time, won't that
affect the gimp when
the quit function is normally called (on closing of plugin)?  If so, the
gimp is already exposed to the problem
of poorly written plugins, and it might as well call the quit functions of
active plugins when it exits.

Or does the gimp have some way of protecting against this issue that
wouldn't work if it was closing?

Thank you for your assistance,
   -Soren Berg