> Spontaneously I don't think custom layer modes is a good
> idea. Might be
> fun for programmers to play with, but graphic
> professionals?
> HTH,
> Martin

Actually Graphic professional do complain ,but for missed option:
for the absence in Gimp of modes they learned to use in Photoshop as
Exclusion,Vivid light or Pin light.

But i do not think they will complain for additional options as the modes
listed here http://www.pegtop.net/delphi/articles/blendmodes/

Or of something as the new "Edge merge" mode  now added to GMIC
( that blend the images while keeping all the edges of the two images with a
maximum contrast...quite interesting and useful characteristic)