Well I am glad to hear that it is relatively easy but unfortunately I
haven't gotten into scripting with gimp at all... Although, this is
definitely going to push me to learn it so I can get this feature ( and
various other reasons ). But, as a feature, I still think it would be a
helpful add especially for web developers to have a button that just
creates a linked layer for them quickly and easily.

 Thanks for your response and I am already looking at sites w/ tutorials
and reading up on this... I know several programming languages, so I am
hoping that will help me out while learning this scripting language >,<.