On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 11:57 AM, Martin Nordholts wrote:
> On 07/16/2009 05:39 PM, Rob Antonishen wrote:

>> Specifically, If I have written a script and want better speed, should
>> I write it as a python plugin, or as a C plugin?
> The first thing you should do is to benchmark your current plug-in, what
> exactly is slow? The algorithm you use? Then switching language won't help.
> Is it the manipulation of individual pixels that is slow? Then switching to
> C might help as it enables you to be more clever about memory and CPU usage.

> HTH,
>  / Martin

Thanks, Martin.  I that clarifies things for me a bit more.

Specifically, I wrote a script: http://registry.gimp.org/node/14051
that is quite slow as it does a lot of calls to gimp-selection-value
to find a point "inside" a selection (using the gimp-selection-bounds
results as the extents of the loop).  So my though is a C (or even
python?) implementation would be significantly faster.

-Rob A>