>From Martin:
> I think the  names needs to suggest that new files should avoid using
> those layer  modes.
> Other  alternatives:
> "(compat.)"
> "(legacy)"
> "(obsolete)"
> "(broken")
> "(old)"

Good point!  Then "(obsolete)" is best.  The abbreviation of "compat." to be
avoided; "legacy" is too figurative, has slightly wrong connotations; "broken",
though technically correct, is too negative to be in the interface; "old"
doesn't suggest enough that the old modes are obsolete.  Since these names will
only appear when old files are loaded, the more technical nature of "obsolete"
is better.  Can we all agree on "(Obsolete)"?