On 08/18/2010 08:33 AM, Mathias Lindner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I run the current development version of GIMP (2.7.2).
>
> In single window mode I experience a very annoying issue. One example to
> reproduce this: choose the brush tool, create a new layer and change it's
> opacity with the slider. And now it comes: I want to zoom into the image with
> the + and - keys on my keyboard. Or I want to move the displayed detail using
> the space bar - before I start painting...
> In multi window mode one just had to focus the image window again (hit the
> window's title bar) to get those keys working. In single window mode, since
> all toolboxes belong to this one window, clicking the title bar doesn't
> change anything. Hitting + and - just changes the opacity of the layer, the
> space bar expands the selection box for layer modes or alters the layer's
> visibility. One actually has to paint onto the image to get it activated and
> get those keys working again. But when I want to paint, I need more details -
> a vicious circle...
>
> Just now I help myself painting somewhere, hitting Ctrl-Z and finally being
> able to zoom in. But this is irritating. Maybe GIMP should check where the
> mouse pointer is and interpret the keystrokes based on this. Is the pointer
> on the image the user prob. wants to zoom, move etc. Is the pointer on the
> layer dialogue the user wants to change settings etc.
>
> Actually, this is not an issue of the window modes. The same behaviour occurs
> in multi window mode. But, as described above, it's easier to re-focus the
> image window over there. Thus, this issue wasn't as annoying as it is now...
>
> So, is this worth a bug report? Or is this a feature request? Or none of all
> because I am too stupid to use GIMP correctly?

It doesn't hurt to create a bug report for it

I think the best solution would be simply make sure the + key press is
propagated all the way down to the image window and handled there, since
there is no widget before that that can do anything sensible

  / Martin

--

My GIMP Blog:
http://www.chromecode.com/