On Sat, 2010-09-18 at 21:55 +0200, Ofnuts wrote:

> > If that is the case, then there is a bug somewhere. But I very much
> > doubt that gray-scale layers are reported to have 3 or channels. Perhaps
> > you can show us some example code?
> >
> Hmm. Wrote some fresh code to demonstrate this and of course it behaves
> as you say. Grumble, grumble. Back to the drawing board. Thx for the
> heads up.
> PS: well, something fishy still.  Creating a greyscale layer in a RGB
> image works, and yields a 1BPP layer:
> image_color = pdb.gimp_image_new(100,100,0)
> layer_grayscale=pdb.gimp_layer_new(image_color,100,100,2,'grayscale_layer',100,0)
> print pdb.gimp_drawable_get_pixel(layer_grayscale,0,0)

First of all, why are you using the PDB directly instead of using the
Python objects? The code to create an image and an RGBA layer should
look like this:

image = image = gimp.Image(100, 100, RGB)
layer = gimp.Layer(image, "RGB layer", 100, 100, RGBA_IMAGE)

Then to address you problem, you are not really creating a grayscale
layer in an RGB image. Your code only creates the layer, it doesn't
actually add it to the image. If you tried to do that, then that would