> Now, looking through the code I don't see gimp doing anything really
> different from me outside >of the convolution matrix code. Frankly, I don't
> understand the convolution matrix code.

>Why does it take 50 samples and then average them? Is this significant?

even if i am not a developer i may assure you that consider the neighboring
pixels (that is what convolution matrix are for ) is VERY significant, and sure
that may explain well why result look simultaneously more contrasted and

i think you should really give a look to what convolution matrix may do

photocomix (via gimpusers.com)