On Wed, Nov 03, 1999 at 01:32:51AM +0100, Marc Lehmann wrote:
> To put it another way: itīs a minor inconvinience to you, but I donīt
> see how one could implement filters/render/fit-text with your proposed
> semantics.
I've tried to implement this thing, though I am not convinced that it is
a minor inconvenience.

Getting the ascent/descent of one font is no problem using
gimp_text_get_extents. Getting the information if a given string has
a ascent or descent _is_.
I see three solutions:
- "knowing" which letters have a descent|ascent. Bad if you have dif-
  ferent types of fonts. More important still this knowledge is ex-
- using bitfiddling to see if there is a ascent or descent.
- letting the gimp_text_get_extents return two additional fields,
  namely ($has_ascent,$has_descent).

I favour the last ;)

http://www.dmcs.de/    mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]       Tel: 07 21/9 20 60-42
digital marketing concepts & services GmbH       Fax: 07 21/9 20 60-30

martin:x:518:112:Martin Treusch von Buttlar:/home/martin:/usr/bin/perl