I found the problems with the 1440x720 mode; it should now be
working.  It's unclear if this will create visible improvement in
practice; it appears to me that it creates slightly smoother dithering
in solid light areas.  There's also an experimental 1440x720 two-pass
mode; in some cases this created even smoother output, but it doesn't
always help.  I suspect that any improvement isn't coming from the
printer (which can't really do 1440x720 -- the dots are simply too
big), but rather from the oversampling that the driver does to get
these high "resolutions".

The oversampling does have potential uses in the future; this code may
be useful for supporting the Stylus Photo 750 and 1200, which have
variable dot sizes.  However, I have no immediate plans to go out and
buy one of those.

Both of these modes are considerably slower than 720x720 softweave,
but faster than 720x720 microweave.

I'm probably not going to do too much more with the driver.  It's
simply taking too much time.  About the only thing that might be worth
doing (apart from fine tuning) would be to implement the oversampling
and simply collapse the result down to a single pass.  This would work
for the original Stylus Photo.

Comments, as usual, are appreciated...

--
Robert Krawitz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>      http://www.tiac.net/users/rlk/