On Mon, Jan 31, 2000 at 01:53:47PM +0100, Sven Neumann wrote:
> In the core the short description and the longer help strings for the PDB
> functions are not marked for translation. This decision was made since the
> PDB help strings are considered to be targeted mainly at developers and
> script-writers. It would be a lot of work to translate them and even more
> work to get the translations correct and to keep them uptodate. So it was
> considered not to be worth the effort.

Sounds fine to me so far, biased as I might be

> Any ideas, comments anyone?

I'll buy (B) -- we do not translate C keywords, variable names, or any
other components visible only to the developer. Nor do we translate
internal errors, bug reports or this list. Therefore to contribute
effectively as a developer you have to learn English anyway.

If you need to tell USERS something important then it should not be
in these strings, you should rather write a paragraph for the GUM.

> (B) don't mark the strings for translation, not in the core, neither in
>     the plug-ins

Nick.