On Mon, Feb 21, 2000 at 10:19:11AM +0800, Ian McKellar wrote:
> On Sat, Feb 19, 2000 at 03:31:25PM -0500, Zach Beane - MINT wrote:
> > It's a little confusing to me sometimes to use the gradient tool,
> > thinking the gradient at the bottom of the toolbar will be used,
> > and finding out that it's actually using the FG-BG colors (or vice
> > versa). I do know how to change it, but sometimes I forget which
> > is in effect.
>
> What about having special "FG" and "BG" colours in the gradient
> editor, so we could have standard fg->bg and bg->fg gradients, but
> we could also have fg->black or fg->white->blue->bg or whatever.
> Wouldn't this be a more general and flexible solution?

Yes, but you haven't gone far enough.

Each colour at a gradient node should be customizable through an
expression language (like in MathMap), so instead of gradients like
'Tube_Red', there would just be 'Tube'. The highlight for 'Tube' could
be 'hsv(fg.h,sqr(fg.s),sqrt(fg.v))', the shadow edge could be
'rgb(fg.r/2,fg.g/2,fg.b/2)', and the deepest shadow could be 'bg'.
Then you set the FG and BG colour and get a tube gradient based on
those two colours.

(Note that my sample expressions think of colour value on the range
0.0-1.0 so sqr() makes a value smaller and sqrt() makes it bigger.)

Just an idea :)

Tom

--
--    Tom Rathborne    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
--                     http://www.aceldama.com/~tomr/