On Tue, May 02, 2000 at 06:04:41PM -0700, Kevin Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> > (pbm is known for some time, but gimp definitely writes a ppm file for
> > greyscale images).
>
> that's not what "file" thinks about the attached files:

Hmm... I just took some gif, converted to grayscale and saved it... the
resulting file was a ppm. I'll look into this.

> > > In fact, any tool reading ppm will accept pgm or pbm as well, and
> > > automatically promote them.
> >
> > Definitely _not_.
>
> so this is, presumably, at least true for all the standard netpbm tools.

Which comes very short of "any tool". ImageMagick for example will refuse
to load a pgm image when you want to load a ppm file.