>Make a custom gradient that is white on one end and transparent on the
>other.  (Go on, use the RGBA 0, 0, 0, 0 option provided on the menu.)
>Now use it with the blend tool on a white canvas.  The result is a gray

This could be remedied by allowing the gradient editor to use alpha=0 with
colours other than black. I have sometimes been forced to edit gradient
files manually for this.

The Gimp's alpha model is slightly different from the premultiplied
paradigm where alpha is a nonseparable part of each pixel value. (This
is why "anti-erase" works at all.) The gradient editor actually thinks in
premultiplied terms in that it only offers a black transparent colour,
and that is the bug.