Should the blend tool use premultiplied alpha for custom gradients?

Make a custom gradient that is white on one end and transparent on the
other.  (Go on, use the RGBA 0, 0, 0, 0 option provided on the menu.)

Now use it with the blend tool on a white canvas.  The result is a gray

In comparison, with the foreground set to white, use the blend tool's
"FG to Transparent" on a white canvas.  Isn't that better?

So, I'd call the lack of premultiplied alpha for custom gradients a bug.
But I seem to recall a recent debate about when it was and wasn't
appropriate for gimp to use premultiplied alpha, so I figured I'd ask

 - Kevin

Kevin Turner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> | OpenPGP encryption welcome here