On  9 Jan, Christopher Curtis wrote:

>>  Patchsets also have a big problem which timecop already
>>  noticed: They don't contain binary files or patches to
>>  such and thus a patched tree might miss quite a few important
>>  files after a while. xdelta wouldn't cause that particular
>>  problem but is harder to use and deltas are not as obvious
>>  to read as an unified diff.

> I don't think that the majority of people applying patches really care
> what the format of the patch is (developers, of course, probably do,
> but not people like timecop or myself who prefer a xxxK patch to a
> xxMB download).

 They do; if we started now to switch over to deltas then quite a few
 people would complain about that. I definitely see the point, I'm behind a
 very narrow pipe as well so I prefer patches, too, but what is even more
 comfortable than patches is CVS, because they don't suffer from the problems
 patches do and are much easier to get and more complicated to mess up the source.

> I don't see a public rsync server for gimp, cvs or otherwise.  Perhaps
> this might be an acceptable option for people with modest bandwidth
> capabilities.

 There are anonymous CVS servers for the GIMP.

--

Servus,
       Daniel