commit dd648b1c1264a70ade137276293e827b40954eca
Author: Michael Natterer <>
Date:   Sun May 19 22:21:38 2013 +0200

    Don't allow tool operations on invisible items, just like we do for
    group layers or locked items.

    Cleaned up and enhanced the patch a bit --Mitch
Which means: trying to paint in an invisible, active, layer works up
to GIMP 2.8, but is a NOp in
GIMP Master.
It is there for over an year, and I had not taken note - yet, it
should be mentioned in the manual, as
it is in some aspects a big change  in the way GIMP used to work. (And
I see no drawbacks in it)