IT's taken some time (I had a rather optimistic estimate of tmy free time)
but I'm finally making some headway with rewriting parts of the
documentation. My current aim is to rewrite Gimplite Quickies. Problem is, I
still don't know how to build the html. I was told here on the mailing list
that Ubuntu has all the needed tools but I wasn't told what they are...
Validating is not a problem, I have XML validation tools, but editing XML
blindly can only go so far: I really need to see what I'm doing.

Can anyone help me with this?

BTW, I'm targeting 2.8, i.e., changing references from "save as" to
"Export", etc.