Gimp's purpose is to create and edit bitmap images, in the same way that Word or LibreOffice writer are meant to create and edit text documents, or PowerPoint/Impress to create presentations.

As stated in the introduction "Both the scenarios and their steps are limited to the essential". I don't think anyone thinks that Gimp should be limited to these.