Well since you didn't provide any further info about the animation you were
talking about, I took an initiative and found it myself. After
taking deeper insight into it (especially after I've watched recordings of
your presentation from Guadec about ZeMarmot) I've understood why you are
so interested into it and also meaning of animation in GIMP. I'm still firm
about my words that it would be better to make animation support via plugin
rather than hardwire it into GIMP, but I think we are on the same line
about this one.
At the same time this was partially thing about I was talking when I
mentioned Blender projects (and having goal) ... improving GIMP according
to artists needs rather than some random improvements. Now, when I am aware
of project ZeMarmot, this all makes more sense and I am glad that it's this
way.