Hi Kevin,

>From my experience, after pasting a new object in order to create a new
layer, in the layers menu there should be Floating Selection ("pasted
Layer") like Burnie wrote. For me, I right-click the "pasted layer" and
select "New Layer", and the pasted object shows up as a new layer. From
there, I make sure I deselect everything (SELECT > NONE), and then use the
move tool (making sure the cursor is over the pasted object) to click on
the object in your new layer in order to move it. Hope that is of some help.