The thing is, in what format does the company ask for you to contribute
your work in? I know Photoshop used to have the ability to export to vectors
even a long time ago, and certainly Illustrator I am assuming is still a part of
Adobe CS, but if you can use vectors you can start or work with a bitmap or
photo etc, and edit in gimp, however you begin the images, then
convert to vector.

I did a search for "Exporting from Gimp to vectors" and it came up with some
pretty interesting stuff, especially the svg stuff.

http://registry.gimp.org/node/15375

Dan