On 04/25/2012 07:27 PM, Michael Natterer wrote:
On Tue, 2012-04-24 at 21:44 -0400, Tara Gover wrote:
Hi guys,

  I am printing super high res images onto fabric. My print guy has instructed
me to create my images in 1440 dpi and my fabric is 58 inches wide and about 80
yards long. I need to create ONE image so they can just print it continuously
along the whoe piece of fabric. So I need to create a REALLY BIG image. They
have recommended Adobe Creative Suite, but of course I want to do it with GIMP.

  Just today, I installed the latest GIMP, and it doesn't seem to be letting me
create even a 58x72 inch image in 1440 dpi. Is there an add on or a way that I
can create huge tiff files in GIMP?.....or do I have to shell out the cash and
get Creative Suite?
1440 dpi would mean you print many many lines of pixels on
each single thread of the fabric. You misunderstood the printer.
Ask again what resolution they can actually print, and use
that.

I suspect the printer says 1440DPI because the spec sheet of his own printer says so. But on a printer the DPI is the size of the ink dots, and you need many inkdots per pixel.

Something which is 58 inches high is seen at such a distance than you won't see details below 0.03 inches (about 1/2000th of the height). At 60PPI the pixels will already be way too small to be visible.