On 07/12/2012 09:46 PM, Oon-Ee Ng wrote:
[...]

> Opensource always has been a meritocracy, not a democracy.

Except when it's a dictatorship, i.e. Ubuntu is owned outright by
Mark Shuttleworth and users saw the handwriting on the wall months
before the Unity debacle surfaced, when he announced he was not
making enough money off the project.  Today, because they DO listen
to user input and believe in the "original concept" of Ubuntu, the
Mint project is eating Ubuntu's lunch by making their own version of
it - such is the way of Free Software.

People who really, totally can't stand the new GIMP have this
option, because it's Free Software:  They can band together, hire
programmers, and specify what they want the GIMP to do.  The user
interface changes they demand really aren't that big, the project
should be quite economical.  What comes out the other end is a
(minor, short lived) fork of the GIMP, still Free as in Freedom.

If it really is all *that* great compared to the normal GIMP, market
forces will speak...  But personally I'm sticking with the main
branch, I rely on the GIMP too much in my occupational life to go
out on thin, shaky limbs.

:o)

Steve