> On 09/15/2012 12:56 AM, Akkana Peck wrote:
> > Accidental work loss is the main reason I dislike the new model.
> > I don't much mind the Save vs. Export split, or remembering when I
> > need to type Ctrl-E vs. Ctrl-S -- but it's frustrating that I no
> > longer have any way to tell whether all my JPGs have been
> > sav^H^H^Hexported and therefore it's safe to quit GIMP. With
> > the 2.8 model I actually have more risk of work loss, not less.

>I save my edited photos in xcf (or xcf.bz2) and I have a script that
>converts them automatically to all formats I often use (jpegs in some
>sizes (converting to sRGB on the fly), tiff in the original size). It
>just scans all xcf files and checks if all converted files exist and are
>newer than the xcf file. To me, it's the most user-friedly approach.

Anna, Maarten! Hi!

Accidental loss of unsaved work more than a few times (by different reason,
tho)
forced me to use this python plugin http://registry.gimp.org/node/26115

You might want to check it out. It saves as xcf (bz2, gz) all open, all
changed images
and you can set back-up time interval.
Works like a charm. Could be an integral part of standard GIMP package
(wishful thinking :)
Cheers.

-----
Nik O.