Thank you to all who have responded with constructive ideas and comments.

The reason for my original question was that I want to advertise some scanned
in behind-the-scenes colour slides that my dad took while he was filming the
speed boat chase sequences from Live and Let Die in 1972. I obviously did not
want these freely copied and circulated uncontrolled.

Based on all your feedback so far, it appears the answer to the original
question is no, it is not possible. Even with using HTML code or using
no-right-click techniques, these can be overcome by someone determined enough.

I have therefore decided to upload very low resolution versions of my hi res
scans, and also include a watermark across them.

I will keep monitoring future replies and respond if required. I'm now off to
explore more GIMP features .........

Thanks again.