On 03/27/2013 06:43 AM, bringoutthe wrote:
> I'm sorry English is not my first language, but here it goes:
> With Gimp 2.8 (Mac) I have made a 3D text with a YouTube tutorial. It looks
> like
> the Pulp Fiction logo.
>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bc/Pulp_Fiction_Logo.png
>
> How do I overlay a grungy texture, so the letters look 'older'?
> I tried making the texture image the top layer in the list on the right and
> then
> this: right click -> layer -> transparancy -> color to alpha.
> But then, the 'see-through' texture covers the entire square transparant
> background! Not just the letters...
> So, how do I add a transparant texture layer over a shaped image that has a
> transparant background?
> Help would be much appreciated!

There are a LOT of ways to do that, but here's one.  Once you have
tried this, you may see how to do something else that does more what
you have in mind:

Select the layer with the orange text, use the "select by color
tool" and select the orange text.

Make a new transparent layer.

Drag and drop (or bucket fill) to fill the selection with white, on
the new layer.

Do Filters > Noise > RGB noise

Change the newer layer's mode to Multiply

Do Colors > Desaturate

Use Colors > Curves to make the orange area look "gritty"

Use the Smudge tool to smear the grit around

:o)

Steve