I 'm using GIMP 2.6 and when I wanna resizing a lot of pictures, i use
"david's batch processor" feature.  filter->batch. In the last tab of the
window, you can pick the output file type (I think the *.png is in the
list).
Just try to playing with the feature some while, to get used to with it.

I hope it can help you solving your converting problem.