IMHO, the best candidate for these repetitive jobs is ImageMagick - as
suggested before by ofnuts.  Or with a shell script invoking "convert" (as
shown in the example) or (if you have some programming experience) with a
simple C program using the Magick shared library.  In this way i wrote a
simple program to resize images, adjusting the quality in order to generate
a file not bigger than a specified limit.

On Fri, Aug 2, 2013 at 10:37 AM, Josef Wolf <j...@raven.inka.de> wrote:

> On Fr, Aug 02, 2013 at 03:32:55 +1200, Jehan Pagès wrote:
> > You can do it this way. Tested by myself right now and working well:
> >
> > $ gimp-2.9 -i -d -f -s -b "`cat script.scm` (simple-unsharp-mask
> > \"file.png\" 5.0 0.5 0)" -b '(gimp-quit 0)'
> >
> > So basically you could have your small shell script call-gimp-function
> > with the following code inside:

> > #!/bin/sh
> >
> > gimp-2.9 -i -d -f -s -b "`cat \"$1\"` $2" -b '(gimp-quit 0)'
> >
> > Then you can call it this way:
> > $ ./call-gimp-function script.scm "(simple-unsharp-mask \"file.png\" 5.0
> 0.5 0)"
>
> Thanks for your suggestion, Jehan!
>
> In fact, that's what I'm currently doing. But I thought there must be a
> better
> way, since this is very prone to quoting errors. I got hidden badly when I
> tried to pass a color definition as a quoted scheme list =:8O
>
> > I think it should work well even if there are double quotes in the
> > definition script because I think cat escapes them before feeding the
> > contents to the main command.
>
> I'd rather redirect stdin instead of using cat.
>
> PS: where can I find information about how to access operating system
> (files,
> directories, environment, etc) from script-fu? I've been searching for
> TinyScheme ducumentation but could not find anyting. There seems to be
> something like txn extensions and re extensions. But they don't seem to be
> available from script-fu? Any hints?
>
> --
> Josef Wolf
> j...@raven.inka.de

(@_  |
//\  | Maurizio Loreti - Fisico in pensione, nonno felice di
V_/_ | due nipotini, vagabondo e fotografo a tempo perso...