I think I've deciphered  your request and please correct me if I'm wrong
(preferably in a concise way), but you are saying that you don't have an
Opacity slider in your Layers dialog?
http://docs.gimp.org/2.8/en/gimp-dialogs-structure.html#gimp-layer-dialog

You've met one requirement for requesting help by specifying the version of
GIMP that you are using, but have failed to meet the requirement to inform us
of the operating system that you are using. Please do so as it may be a
significant factor in finding the remedy for your problem.

Regards

Kevin