Although I also hate the new feature which restricts what I can do, I don't
think taking a poll is a useful idea.  It seems to me the developers ought
to be aware, as everyone else is, that this was a bad move, that many (who
knows whether most, but certainly many) GIMP users hate it, and just allow
users the same choice we had for so many years.  If there is a down side to
allowing users to make this choice, I haven't heard what that is.