> Von: "Ralf GESELLENSETTER" <r...@gmx.de>

Hi Ralf,

> Am 16.02.2014 13:43, schrieb Michael Schumacher:
> > You can index the image to a 1-bit b/w palette, but that won't matter
> > much until you export. It should also be ok to just paint in black and
> > white and worry about that later.
>
> In good old Atari times, I had to "click" (by pixel toggling) my own
> printer fonts letter by letter; bearing this in mind, I'd regard
> Gimp currently not for the 1st choice for icon editing:
>
> - there is no toggle mode for 1-bit-palette

If you set the foreground color to black and the background color to white
(this is the default, actually), then the x key toggles between these colors.
This is about the only drawback to some more dedicated applications, that allow
to draw with FG on left and BG on right mouse clicks.

> - due to rounding, I assume, you have to click several times
>   until the current pixel gets black.

Yes, if you use the brush tool, and don't align the brush to the grid.
But for this task, you'd use a 1 pixel brush (that's most non-animated brushes
if you set the size to 1), the pencil tool, and pure black and white as
described above.

> - If you use greyscale, soft pencil settings may lead to
>   unpredictable (fuzzy) results.

If you paint with gray, then you will get a gray pixel (assuming you're still
using the tool as described earlier). But you're painting with black and white.

> Next time, I'll have a try for greenfish [1]. Don't get me wrong,
> I am quite aware, that this kind of task is not exactly the
> main target of GIMP, hence I dare not even file a bug report;
> what do you think?

So far, I don't see much you can't do with GIMP, so I'm not sure what you'd
want to file it for.

--
Regards,
Michael