April,

The particular part of G'MIC I'm referring to is "Film Emulations".  There
are quite a few different emulations for various film stocks that may get
you what you are looking for color-wise.

Bear in mind that the 'darkness' to the images in your first post are due
to a combination of processing as well as the exposure conditions at the
time.  Your sample images have quite a bit of direct sunlight in them,
which makes it a bit harder to impart a sense of 'darkness' in them.

Here's a quick (<5min) edit to show what I mean:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-_BBemcslfSU/VGDsLkisGxI/AAAAAAAASOI/qDOQTfGc6RA/s0/april-1.jpg

I used one of the film emulations (I don't remember now).  Masked her to
and raised the curves to lighten her slightly.  Added a vignette.  Then
crushed the shadows a bit and lifted the black point (in the levels dialog
- bring the input black level up, then raise the black output level to
taste).

On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 4:43 PM, April <for...@gimpusers.com> wrote:

> Thanks for offering to help!  I have found a couple of tutorials on G'MIC,
> but
> it has so many options that I'm just not sure where to start.  I have
> attached a
> few pictures of different settings.  Any help you can give me will be
> greatly
> appreciated. Thanks so much!
>
> April
>

> >April,
> >
> >The process to emulate those looks will be dependent on what her
> >images
> >look like to start with.  If you can post/send a few sample images I
> >can
> >probably point you in the right direction to get started.
> >
> >If I had to guess I might lean towards VSCO film presets (you can get
> >similar presets from the G'MIC plugin as well).
>
> Attachments:
> * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/167/original/IMG_4641.JPG
> * http://www.gimpusers.com/system/attachments/168/original/Untitled.jpg
> *