It is a bug in this version of GIMP that no longer exists in gimp
2.8.0 and later -

it was corrected in February - 2012 by Massimo Valentini, just prior
to the 2.8 version release
in May.

Please take in mind that GIMP do _not_ maintain bug-fix releases of
outdated stable versions -
the current mainline branch is 2.8.x - and if your OS does not support
that, either upgrade, or refrain from trying serious work on it.

I am pretty shure that although GIMP 2.8 is not the official packages
for your 2012 Ubunut, there are GIMP 2.8 builds for it available under
alternate install methods.

Regards,

   js
  -><-

PS. type
git show d93d2e71

at a GIMP source code checkout to see the fix.