The pdf can be exported at any resolution you ask. It's the reason you can
specify which density you want on import. (Imagemagick has a couple of
options for handling this:
http://www.imagemagick.org/discourse-server/viewtopic.php?t=8707).

What happens when you set the import density higher in GIMP? Desired
results?