Hello Peter,

Yes, GIMP will import most graphics files, and you can use layers to trace over
them. It does have a wide typographic  library, and appears to recognize all
the fonts installed on your system. I am working with GIMP and a map I
originally sketched in Adobe Photoshop (a software I have abandoned completely
in favor of GIMP.)

However, you should, as others recommend, investigate Inkscape (as I intend to
do in the near future). If you are on a Mac OS, take a look at
http://www.mapdiva.com/ortelius/.

All of these programs have fairly steep learning curves if you are not familiar
with CG, however, the time spent is ultimately worth it.

Ross