in 2013 I had the opportunity to put in praxis a process to paint a big map
(250x190 cm) using GIMP and MyPaint.
You can see my approach to this work... but is in Portuguese... but I think
that the google translate can help a bit.
The posts about this work and process are:

On Sun, Nov 29, 2015 at 5:39 PM, Ross Martinek <triariu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello Peter,
> Yes, GIMP will import most graphics files, and you can use layers to trace
> over them. It does have a wide typographic  library, and appears to
> recognize all the fonts installed on your system. I am working with GIMP
> and a map I originally sketched in Adobe Photoshop (a software I have
> abandoned completely in favor of GIMP.)
> However, you should, as others recommend, investigate Inkscape (as I
> intend to do in the near future). If you are on a Mac OS, take a look at
> http://www.mapdiva.com/ortelius/.
> All of these programs have fairly steep learning curves if you are not
> familiar with CG, however, the time spent is ultimately worth it.
> Ross
> On Nov 27, 2015, at 11:42 AM, petersh...@comcast.net wrote:
> > I've just finished hand drawing about fifty simple, small (8.5 X 11)
> maps in a two-month period. I'm hoping for an easier way, without going
> broke or making my head explode.
> >
> > I've read a summary of the GIMP drawing program, but it is not clear to
> me, if you can import images such as scans, or Google Earth. Google maps,
> etc. Can you import an image and trace from it, or does one only draw
> original subjects? I assume it has wide typographic ability for font and
> sizes??
gimp-user-list mailing list