Hi Alex.

When you select RAW images (with a long list of image formats such as
cr2, nef etc.) from the dropdown list and then click on your NEF, does
it open UFRaw or not? Let me know otherwise and we'll work to get it
fixed for you. You can email me directly or respond there.

Don't rely on the automatic detection since it's a back and forth
between GIMP and UFRaw. NEF is based on the TIFF format and hence the
confusion.

Thanks,
Partha

PS: Another recommendation I would make is to use RawTherapee to
preprocess and then send to GIMP.