On Sun, Oct 23, 2022 at 08:19:05AM +0200, Ralf Mardorf via gimp-user-list wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it's possible to replace almost all GNOME software by software that is
> more or less identically.
>
> For example gedit can easily be replaced by pluma or even better by xed.
> However, replacing GIMP is not that straightforward as replacing an
> editor.
>
> When the user interface of GIMP became more and more annoying and its
> JPG export became freakish, I replaced GIMP by Krita a long time ago. In
> the beging using Krita was frustrating, but on the long run this step
> has proven its worth. Related to the mailing list issue, there isn't
> really a good user mailing list for Krita, but at least there is one.
>
> IMO it's important to fight back when leading projects don't care about
> the user base anymore. Dropping the mailing list after a Vogon-ish
> announcement is not the first thing the GNOME project does to harms the
> FLOSS community.

Ralf,

I have found your comments on another list which I occasionally read
to usually be relevant.  But this sounds like trolling: "Give up
gimp and move to kde".  I have no great love for most gnome
applications, but I can still build gimp (on my xfce system) without
many dependencies.  Compare that to kde (specifically, kf5) where a
metric shed-load of packages need to be installed.  I typically
build development (temporary) desktop systems every couple of
months, and the churn needed for building kf5 is unmanageable.

I'm sorry to see this list go, but when I need help I'll either
post on pixels.us (most of my gimp usage is for photo-manipulation)
or subscribe to https://discourse.gnome.org/

ĸen
--
Greater love hath no woman for the premiership than to lay down the
life of her bosom friend in an attempt to save her own skin.