On Thu, 31 Jan 2002, John Culleton wrote:

> Now I am totaly confused. My version of Gimp for Linux  1.2.2
> seems to handle gifs both incoming and outgoing. So what is the
> patent/copyright  problem and why doesn't it affect ImageMagick equally
> as much?

  I don't work with gifs so I've not checked the GIMP for its ability to
manuipulate them. We also run GIMP-1.2.2.

  The patent problem with gifs surfaced a few years ago. I'm sure you can
find the details on the web some place. All I know is that CompuServe
patented the format and wants license fees for using it. LZW compression is
also patented so we removed it from all GRASS modules.

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President

                       Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc. (TM)
 + 1 503-667-4517 (voice) | + 1 503-667-8863 (fax) | [EMAIL PROTECTED]