> try building a document with a higher dpi.

i tried various dpi (no diff) and making a double size
image and then loading it and resizing 1/2 size (big dark
becomes filled in black, thin dark becomes white), to no

the only thing that seems to work is to create a NEW file,
save the blank NEW file as myfile.ps, tell it to save in B/W.
then quit the NEW file, and OPEN myfile.ps.  then it is in
a B/W color mode, and fonts display nicely when printed
to a PS printer.

so - my guess anything other than a Black & White PS file
(which must be arrived at by the indirect method above)
will result in "crosshatch" type PS font rendering.

is it known whether Gimp can produce high enough color PS
quality to give to printshops for professional printing?
i saw hints from old maillists that this is a problem,
ie, Gimp can't produce good color PS quality like Photoshop4.
something to do with color PS being a difficult problem.
but i think the posting was a few years old.