On Thursday 21 March 2002 05:58, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > try building a document with a higher dpi.
>
> i tried various dpi (no diff) and making a double size
> image and then loading it and resizing 1/2 size (big dark
> becomes filled in black, thin dark becomes white), to no
> avail.
>
> the only thing that seems to work is to create a NEW file,
> save the blank NEW file as myfile.ps, tell it to save in B/W.
> then quit the NEW file, and OPEN myfile.ps.  then it is in
> a B/W color mode, and fonts display nicely when printed
> to a PS printer.
>
> so - my guess anything other than a Black & White PS file
> (which must be arrived at by the indirect method above)
> will result in "crosshatch" type PS font rendering.
>
> is it known whether Gimp can produce high enough color PS
> quality to give to printshops for professional printing?
> i saw hints from old maillists that this is a problem,
> ie, Gimp can't produce good color PS quality like Photoshop4.
> something to do with color PS being a difficult problem.
> but i think the posting was a few years old.
>
> > > FreeBSD 4.5
> > > Gimp 1.2.2
> > >
> > > please reply off list as well, as i am not subscribed, thank
> > > you.
> > >
> > > i am having a problem printing to a PostScript printer clearly.
> > > i can print Netscape Postscript output just fine.  very clear.
> > > but when i print Gimp Postscript output, it has a 9-pin
> > > "dot matrix" quality for lack of better words.
> > >
> > > 12 point Adobe Courier PS font is not even "solid and defined".
> > > it's somewhat fuzzy, with a "dotty" or "crosshatch" effect.
> > > 10 point PS fonts are hardly legible.
> > >
> > > i think it's due to Gimps PS rendering from XCF.
> > >
> > > i would appreciate it if anyone can tell me how to
> > > get better PS output quality from Gimp.  i am trying
> > > to design business cards, but the output i am getting
> > > is definitely not high enough quality for serious use.
> > >
> > > thank you.

As I understand the problem it is not quality as such but the
inabliity of Gimp to manipulate cmyk separations. Gimp can
produce these but only at the end of the process.

OTOH if the printer can make his own color separations from
the PS file there should be no problem. If you have poor quality
ps output I would look first at the dpi you are using within
Gimp, and then the nature of the print device. If you produce
business cards to 2400 dpi resolution and then put them out
on a 300 dpi printer the quality will of course suffer. The
lowest resolution used in any step in the process is what
you will get.

Your friends here need to know more about the exact process you
are going through, what formats you are using, what is the
print device, what densities are involved, are photos part
of the document, etc. etc. Then we can try to help.

John Culleton