I have recently been making an effort to learn as much about using the
GIMP as I can.  I have been referring to the GIMP User Manual, Grokking
The GIMP and several tutorials that I have downloaded.  These all
suggest that I should be able to use the painting tools to modify layer
masks and selection masks saved in channels.  However these tools have
absolutely no effect and I'm wondering if there is something I am not
doing that is needed to be able to do this.  I am using version 1.2.3,
built from source, and am running it on SuSE Linux 7.2.
Steve Crane