From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2002 10:18 PM
To: GIMP Post
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] Erasing to transparent in either GIF or PNG; A
searchable archive?

All:

I asked ...

> > I want to erase the edges of a GIF or PNG [in GIMP] to make it look as
though it has
> > been torn out of a magazine.  I can erase to a white background around
the
> > edges but can't figure out how to make that transparent.  The reason
that
> > the 'background' must be transparent is that the graphic is to be
placed
> > over another graphic but I can't get rid of that straight-edged white
> > square formed by the white 'background'.

... and Geoffrey replied ...

> image->alpha->add alpha channel
>
> Before you remove the edges.

Well, this works just fine and displays correctly.  But when I import the
PNG graphic into FrameMaker the areas supposedly erased to transparent are
restored.  (Still displays correctly in The Gimp.)  Is this just a
FrameMaker quirk?

Regards,
Hedley

--
Hedley Finger
Technical Communications/Technical communicator and FrameMaker mentor

(C) MYOB Limited 2002