On Monday 17 February 2003 20:00, Tom Williams wrote:
> Nigel Ridley wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > I know this isn't exactly Gimp stuff - but I am trying to access my
> > new USB scanner through the Gimp:
> > File -> Acquire -> Xsane: Device dialog
> > and I figured that lots of you guys must have already set up a USB
> > scanner
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > Anyway, I've done a lot of google-ing but so far have been unable
> > to find out how
> > to set it up.
> > When I re-booted the system (I installed a new sound card - SBLive
> > [which I'm still trying to get working]) the usb modules loaded ok
> > and I have an entry /dev/usb/scanner0 (-rw-rw-rw-). However, when I
> > try to access it from within the Gimp (or thru Xsane), I get an
> > error message that no devices are available.
Here is my setup.

The xsane program is linked into
/usr/local/lib/gmp/1.2/plugins directory.

There is a necessary file called
/usr/local/etc/sane.d/epson.conf

An important line in this file says:
usb /dev/usbscanner

The actual device file is:
crw-rw-rw-    2 root     root     180,  48 Mar 25  2001 /dev/usbscanner

When I boot I get these messages (try dmesg | less to examine yours)

usb.c: registered new driver usbscanner
scanner.c: USB Scanner support registered.

As the others said, let us have all the gory details. I have an Epson
Perfection 1240U.

HTH
--
John Culleton
Subscribe to the Self_Publisher's Newsletter!