Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] USB scanner, Xsane and Gimp
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 22:01:25 -0500
From: Fred Bazolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: Nigel Ridley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

> I am running Libranet 2.7 kernel 2.4.19 (a Debian variant) and trying to
> get a Benq (was Acer) 4300U USB scanner to work.
> The Gimp is 1.2.3
>
> Blessings,
>
> Nigel Ridley

hello again Nigel,

I'm guessing on this. I use an Epson. You probably still have to configure
 the SANE backend. I don't know what that would be called for your scanner,
 but for an Epson it's a file called epson.conf. It should be located either
 in /etc/sane.d or in /usr/local/etc/sane.d - wherever your linux distro
 installs SANE. Edit the file and make sure that the following line is the
 only information in the file:

        usb /dev/usbscanner0

You may have to replace "/dev/usbscanner0" with the actual device name, but
from your information that sounds like what it is.

You don't use an epson, so you will have to look for something like acer.conf
or benq.conf, or even ( more probably I think ) snapscan.conf. This is
because, after checking the SANE homepage, your scanner uses the snapscan
backend.

You may also have to reboot. I don't know, and I'm nobodies linux guru! Good
luck. let me know if this works.

By the way, I got most of my information from the SANE homepage,
www.freecolormanagement.com/SANE and .../Documentation/usb/scanner.txt. You
would probably also want to visit
http://www.mostang.com/sane/man/sane-snapscan.5.html.