On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 22:08:18 -0500
Fred Bazolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Subject: Re: [Gimp-user] USB scanner, Xsane and Gimp
> Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 22:01:25 -0500
> From: Fred Bazolo <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: Nigel Ridley <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>
> > I am running Libranet 2.7 kernel 2.4.19 (a Debian variant) and trying
> > to get a Benq (was Acer) 4300U USB scanner to work.
> > The Gimp is 1.2.3
> >
> > Blessings,
> >
> > Nigel Ridley
>
> hello again Nigel,
>
> I'm guessing on this. I use an Epson. You probably still have to
> configure
>  the SANE backend. I don't know what that would be called for your
>  scanner, but for an Epson it's a file called epson.conf. It should be
>  located either in /etc/sane.d or in /usr/local/etc/sane.d - wherever
>  your linux distro installs SANE. Edit the file and make sure that the
>  following line is the only information in the file:
>
>       usb /dev/usbscanner0
>
> You may have to replace "/dev/usbscanner0" with the actual device name,
> but from your information that sounds like what it is.
>
> You don't use an epson, so you will have to look for something like
> acer.conf or benq.conf, or even ( more probably I think ) snapscan.conf.
> This is because, after checking the SANE homepage, your scanner uses the
> snapscan backend.
>
> You may also have to reboot. I don't know, and I'm nobodies linux guru!
> Good luck. let me know if this works.
>
> By the way, I got most of my information from the SANE homepage,
> www.freecolormanagement.com/SANE and .../Documentation/usb/scanner.txt.
> You would probably also want to visit
> http://www.mostang.com/sane/man/sane-snapscan.5.html.

Yes, I got it working ok!
I installed the latest .debs for sane and Xsane from sid; copied the
relevant 'firmware' file from the cd that came with the scanner to
/usr/share/sane, then edited the 'firmware' line: firmware
/usr/share/sane/u176v046.bin in /etc/sane.d/snapscan.conf and now it
works.
Just one thing though - there is a need to let the scanner *warm up* first
after it is re-connected to the computer (power or USB cable) before
trying to start Xsane.

Thanks for the encouragement :-)

Blessings,

Nigel