I am attempting to compile gimp1.3 and during the configure stage I get the
error that pangoft2.pc cannot be found. I have installed freetype and
recompiled pango and also tried setting the  PKG_CONFIG_PATH  environment
variable to the directory containing pangoft2.pc. Is there something special
I need to do when compiling pango to set the optional freetype support? Also
as a side question that came to me during this troubleshooting process; how
do I permanently set such environmental variables such as the on above?

Thank you for any help.