On Tuesday 20 May 2003 02:06 pm, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
> John Culleton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > I import and export eps format files regularly. The Gimp defaults at
> > both ends are not what I want. for example I import files at 300 dpi
> > but Gimp defaults to 100 dpi.
> GIMP doesn't seem to be the right tool for this since it converts your
> EPS files (that may contain vector information) to pixels only. The
> postscript plug-in is pretty much unmaintained and I am surprised to
> hear that people actually use it.

OK here is the drill. Weekly I make copies of church music and put
them in booklets for our choir. I fire up Gimp and then use Xsane to
bring the images into Gimp. I resize the pages and sometimes adjust
the grayscale curve to improve the appearance. I save the pages
individually and then incorporate them in a plain TeX file. I run tex
and dvips. I sort the images for a booklet using psnup and psselect
from the PSutils package. I print them out on tabloid paper on my
laser printer. I staple and fold. Sometimes I need to edit further a
previously established eps image and I use Gimp for this also.

It does not matter that Gimp works in pixels rather than vectors
because the images are scanned in the first place. The seamless
connection between Xsane and Gimp makes the image processing very

No doubt I could work up a routine with e.g., IMageMagick or XV, but I
am happy with my Gimp process, except for the inability to save
settings between sessions.

I will when time permits (gotta do those booklets this morning :) put
in a bug report as you suggest.

John Culleton
Able Typesetters and Indexers