Hello Gimpers,
Here is the correct way to do this. Do not change the configure script, do not
change the make file. This information, and lots of other configuation
options explained, can be found by adding the -h (help) option to the
./configure  script invocation, although it is not quite specific about this
exact option. Here is what to enter to compile pango with freetype support:
./configure --with-PACKAGE=pangoft2

The response that Sven gave me that it should find freetype was not the case
on my system and must not be the case on some other sytems as well due to
this being an option in the configuration script. You are now ready to
compile pango with freetype support as required by gimp 1.3.

I hope this helps,

Brian